Thank you for your interest in becoming a member of the Junior League of Charleston, Inc.
MISSION AND PURPOSE
The Junior League of Charleston, Inc., is an organization of women committed to promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women, and improving the community through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. Its purpose is exclusively educational and charitable. The Junior League of Charleston reaches out to women of all races, religions and national origin who demonstrate an interest in and commitment to voluntarism. The Junior League raises more than $100,000 annually to further this mission. The organization combines trained volunteers with the money it puts into the community for double impact. Last year, Junior League members invested more than 2,100 volunteer hours valued at $45,000.
“I HAVE TO SAY THE PROVISIONAL TIME IS SO ENJOYABLE. I REALLY HAVE GOTTEN SO MUCH OUT OF IT. THE VOLUNTEERING IS A GIFT IN ITSELF BUT MEETING SUCH COOL, DYNAMIC, FUNNY, SMART WOMEN HAS BEEN A REALLY HAPPY EXPERIENCE. EVERYONE IS EAGER TO HELP AND HAS AN EXCELLENT, POSITIVE OUTLOOK. I AM SO GLAD I DID THIS. IT HAS BEEN EMPOWERING AND HAS LED ME TO FIND MANY MORE COMMUNITY BETTERMENT OPPORTUNITIES. JOINING JUNIOR LEAGUE WAS ONE EXCELLENT DECISION.”
NEW MEMBER, 2013
New Member Overview
As a New Member, the first year is spent immersing our newest members in the mission of the League. The New Class Committee provides a 10-month experience where new members learn about the Junior League and its role in the Charleston community. It requires a commitment on the part of the New Member to fulfill her New Member year responsibilities, but it is also an exciting experience!
The Junior League of Charleston opens its application process in the spring of every year. The following criteria must be met in order to be considered for membership:
- The candidate must be a female of at least 21 years of age by May 31.
- The candidate must reside in the Charleston area by August.
- The candidate must possess an interest in community service, a commitment to community service, and an interest in developing her potential as a trained volunteer and leader.
Starting April 1st, interested members should complete and submit an application online and pay the non-refundable $35.00 application fee. This is due no later than July 31st. Upon completion of the application, you will then:
- Register and attend a Fact & Fee session over the summer, where a member will:
- Sign the New Member Contract
- Pay the New Member Course Fee
- Pay the New Member fee ($202) or start a payment plan
- Dates for Fact & Fee Drop-in Sessions will be announced in the spring and take place in June and July. These sessions may be in-person or virtual.
Have a question? We’re here to help! Contact us via email (email@example.com) or phone (843-763-5284).
NEW MEMBER CLASS ACCEPTANCE
Upon submitting an application and application fee ($35), paying the membership fee ($202) and New Member course fee ($75), and executing the New Member contract, all of which must be submitted to the League office no later than August 15th, the prospect will be admitted as a New Member in the JLC effective August 15th.
NEW MEMBER REQUIREMENTS
Once accepted into the New Member class, members must complete various requirements over the course of the New Member year. We may adjust these requirements over the summer and will let you know of any changes.
- Attend one of the Fact & Fee Sessions during the summer
- Attend Initial Orientation Course (IOC) in August 2020.
- Attend 4 Membership Trainings.
- Attend 6 monthly New Member Class Meetings
- Attend 1 In-League Committee Meeting
- Participate in 4 New Member Service Project shifts
- Participate in New Member Class Fundraising Project
- Pay Active Membership Fee ($202) for the 2021-2022 League year by April 1, 2021.
NEW MEMBER & GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETINGS
New Member Class meetings are typically the first Monday of the month and General Membership Meetings (GMM) usually occur the fourth Monday of the month.
If you have specific questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org!
Once again, thank you for your interest. All of us at the Junior League of Charleston are proud of our accomplishments in this community. We always need hard-working volunteers to continue having the impact and success that we enjoy today!