Thank you for your interest in becoming a member of the Junior League of Charleston, Inc.
Applications are due by June 15, 2018.
MISSION AND PURPOSE
The Junior League of Charleston, Inc., is an organization of women committed to promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women, and improving the community through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. Its purpose is exclusively educational and charitable. The Junior League of Charleston reaches out to women of all races, religions and national origin who demonstrate an interest in and commitment to voluntarism. The Junior League raises more than $100,000 annually to further this mission. The organization combines trained volunteers with the money it puts into the community for double impact. Last year, Junior League members invested more than 2,100 volunteer hours valued at $45,000.
“I HAVE TO SAY THE PROVISIONAL TIME IS SO ENJOYABLE. I REALLY HAVE GOTTEN SO MUCH OUT OF IT. THE VOLUNTEERING IS A GIFT IN ITSELF BUT MEETING SUCH COOL, DYNAMIC, FUNNY, SMART WOMEN HAS BEEN A REALLY HAPPY EXPERIENCE. EVERYONE IS EAGER TO HELP AND HAS AN EXCELLENT, POSITIVE OUTLOOK. I AM SO GLAD I DID THIS. IT HAS BEEN EMPOWERING AND HAS LED ME TO FIND MANY MORE COMMUNITY BETTERMENT OPPORTUNITIES. JOINING JUNIOR LEAGUE WAS ONE EXCELLENT DECISION.”
2013-2014 PROVISIONAL CLASS MEMBER
Provisional Member Overview
As a Provisional Member, the first year is spent immersing our newest members in the mission of the League. The Provisional Class Committee provides a 10-month experience where new members learn about the Junior League and its role in the Charleston community. It requires a commitment on the part of the Provisional to fulfill her Provisional year responsibilities, but it is also an exciting experience!
The Junior League of Charleston opens its application process in the spring of every year. The following criteria must be met in order to be considered for membership:
- The candidate must be a female of at least 21 years of age by May 31.
- The candidate must reside in the Charleston area by August.
- The candidate must possess an interest in community service, a commitment to community service, and an interest in developing her potential as a trained volunteer and leader.
The candidate must have a sponsoring member.
Starting April 1st, interested members should complete and submit an application online and pay the non-refundable $35.00 application fee. This is due no later than June 15, 2018. Upon completion of the application, you will then:
- Update your Junior League profile with contact and other information.
- Fill out a short questionnaire.
- Register and attend a Fact & Fee session over the summer, where a member will:
- Sign the Provisional Contract
- Pay the Provisional Course Fee
- Pay the Provisional member fee ($202) or sign an Installment Plan Agreement
- Dates for Fact & Fee Drop-in Sessions will be announced in the spring and take place in June and July
- Submit a copy of your Drivers License.
Have a question? We’re here to help! Contact us via email (email@example.com) or phone (843-763-5284).
PROVISIONAL CLASS ACCEPTANCE
Upon submitting an application and application fee ($35), paying the membership fee ($202) and provisional course fee ($75), and executing the Provisional contract at Fact & Fee, all of which must be submitted to the League office no later than August 1, 2018, the prospect will be admitted to Provisional membership in the JLC effective August 1, 2018.
Once accepted into the Provisional class, members must complete various requirements over the course of the Provisional year.
- Attend Initial Orientation Course (IOC) on Sunday, August 26, 2018
- Attend 4 General Membership Meetings (GMM)
- Attend 6 monthly Provisional Class Meetings
- Attend 1 In-League Committee Meeting
- Participate in four 2-hour Provisional Service Project shifts (8 hours total)
- Complete two 2-hour shifts during the week of the Whale of a Sale 2019
- Donate $100 in quality quota to the Whale of a Sale
- Pay Active Membership Fee ($202) for the 2019-2020 League year by April 1, 2019
PROVISIONAL & GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETINGS
Provisional Class meetings are typically the first Monday of the month and General Membership Meetings (GMM) usually occur the fourth Monday of the month.
Tentative Provisional Class Meeting dates: September 4 , October 1, November 5, December 3 (Holiday Party), January 7 , February 4, March 4, April 1, May 6 (End of the Year Party)
Tentative General Membership Meeting dates: August 27, September 24 (In-home Meetings), October 22, November (various/Fall Fundraiser), January 28, February 25, March 25, April 29, May TBA
If you have specific questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org!
Once again, thank you for your interest. All of us at the Junior League of Charleston are proud of our accomplishments in this community. We always need hard working volunteers to continue having the impact and success that we enjoy today!