Thank you for your interest in becoming a member of the Junior League of Charleston, Inc.
APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2016-2017 PROVISIONAL CLASS ARE NOW CLOSED
Applications for the 2017-2018 League Year will open Spring 2017.
MISSION AND PURPOSE
The Junior League of Charleston, Inc., is an organization of women committed to promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women, and improving the community through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. Its purpose is exclusively educational and charitable. The Junior League of Charleston reaches out to women of all races, religions and national origin who demonstrate an interest in and commitment to voluntarism. The Junior League raises more than $100,000 annually to further this mission. The organization combines trained volunteers with the money it puts into the community for double impact. Last year, Junior League members invested more than 2,100 volunteer hours valued at $45,000.
“I HAVE TO SAY THE PROVISIONAL TIME IS SO ENJOYABLE. I REALLY HAVE GOTTEN SO MUCH OUT OF IT. THE VOLUNTEERING IS A GIFT IN ITSELF BUT MEETING SUCH COOL, DYNAMIC, FUNNY, SMART WOMEN HAS BEEN A REALLY HAPPY EXPERIENCE. EVERYONE IS EAGER TO HELP AND HAS AN EXCELLENT, POSITIVE OUTLOOK. I AM SO GLAD I DID THIS. IT HAS BEEN EMPOWERING AND HAS LED ME TO FIND MANY MORE COMMUNITY BETTERMENT OPPORTUNITIES. JOINING JUNIOR LEAGUE WAS ONE EXCELLENT DECISION.”
2013-2014 PROVISIONAL CLASS MEMBER
2017-2018 PROSPECTIVE MEMBERS
Membership in the Junior League of Charleston is both a privilege and a responsibility. The future of the League depends upon the proposal of well-qualified, prospective members to carry forth the League’s mission. All prospective members must be informed of their proposal for membership. The prospective member should be aware of the time and financial commitment that is required during the Provisional year before she agrees to be sponsored for membership. Please consider the following eligibility criteria, membership proposal requirements and Provisional member obligations (which are subject to change).
2017-2018 ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
The prospective member must meet the following criteria for membership eligibility:
Age – She must be at least 21 years of age by May 31, 2017.
Residency – She must reside in the Charleston area by the start of the Provisional Course in August 2017.
Voluntarism – She must have interest in voluntarism, commitment to community service, and interest in developing her potential as a trained volunteer and leader.
Prospective Member Process 2017-2018
APPLICATION, FEE, & DEADLINES
The completed membership application along with a non-refundable $35.00 application fee, must be received by the Junior League office
no later than July 15, 2017. It is the prospective member’s responsibility to ensure that the properly completed application and forms with the payment of the application fee is submitted to the League by the stated deadline. Application fees will not be refunded for failure to fulfill the application process or membership requirements. Please note that all fees are subject to change per the League’s Bylaws.
The items below must be completed for your application to be processed. Once this is received, you are accepted into the 2017-2018 Provisional Class and will receive additional information from the class leadership in July.
Provisional Membership Application
- Payment of your $35 Application Fee online (at the end of the electronic portion of the application)
- Completion of the Additional Membership Profile Information Form
FACT & FEE SESSIONS
Once the completed Provisional membership request forms and non-refundable application fee have been received at the League office, the applicant will be invited to a transition drop-in session where she will sign the provisional contract and pay her annual dues ($168) and course fee ($75). For those wishing to participate in JLC’s payment plan, a payment plan agreement must also be completed. Only one Fact & Fee session needs to be attended. These generally last 30 minutes. Click this link to view the calendar and register for a session of your choice:
|Session 1: TBA 6-6:45 pm||Session 2: TBA 7-7:45 pm|
|Session 3: TBA 6-6:45 pm||Session 4: TBA 7-7:45 pm|
|Session 5: TBA 6-6:45 pm||Session 6: TBA 7-7:45 pm|
ADMISSION TO PROVISIONAL MEMBERSHIP 2017-2018
Upon execution of the Provisional contract and payment of the membership dues and the Provisional course fee, which must be submitted to the League office no later than August 20, 2017, the prospect will be admitted to Provisional membership in the JLC effective August 1, 2017.
THE PROVISIONAL YEAR RESPONSIBILITIES
The Provisional year is a 10-month course of study where the new Provisional member learns more about the JLC, The Association of Junior Leagues International, Inc. (AJLI), the League’s role in the Charleston community and receives training as a volunteer. It requires a commitment on the part of the Provisional to fulfill her Provisional year responsibilities. The foundation of your League experience begins here.
THE PROVISIONAL YEAR REQUIREMENTS 2016-2017
- Attend the Initial Orientation Course (IOC) – this takes place on a Sunday afternoon in August from 2pm-5pm – details to come
- Attend six monthly Provisional meetings – September through May
- Attend four monthly General Membership Meetings – August through May
- Participate in four Provisional Service Project shifts (2 hours each) selected by the League – schedule and sign up to be announced at the first class meeting
- Attend one (1) In-League Committee meeting during the year (Sept – April). Sign up will be announced to the class as soon as it is available.
- Donate goods (“quota”) worth $100 to the Whale of a Sale, a League fundraiser no later than February 10, 2017. Provisional members having difficulty amassing goods to donate will be paired up with a Sustainer for assistance.
- Complete two volunteer fundraising “shifts” (4 hours total) during Whale of a Sale (February 2018)
- Pay the membership dues and provisional course fees as stated in financial obligations (below)
PROVISIONAL & GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETINGS
Meetings are usually held on Monday evenings. Provisional Class meetings are typically the second week of the month and General Membership Meetings (GMM) usually occur the fourth week of the month. IOC is held in August.
Tentative Provisional Class Meeting dates: TBA
Tentative General Membership Meeting dates: August 28, September 25 (In-home Meetings), October 30, November (Membership Appreciation), January 22, February 26, March 26, April 24, May 23
PROVISIONAL FINANCIAL OBLIGATIONS FOR 2017-2018
In addition to the non-refundable application fee and fundraising quota valued at $100, a Provisional member is responsible for the following financial obligations:
- 2017-2018 Membership Dues (due by September 1, 2017) $168 – A payment plan of 4 equal installments is available – an agreement must be completed and returned to the league office no later than (August 25, 2017). Payments will be drafted automatically to the card you provide for four months.
- Provisional Course Fee (due by August 20, 2017) $75
(NOTE: For those submitting their applications on this date you will be able to pay the course fee once your application has been processed and you receive information on how to access the Member Only pages of the website)
- 2018-2019 Active Membership Dues (due April 1, 2018) (Currently $168 – subject to change)
A Provisional member who fails to pay the 2017-2018 Membership Dues by September 1, 2017 (or be enrolled in and make the first dues installment payment) and Provisional Course Fee by August 20, 2017 shall not be admitted to membership. If you require special consideration on this please contact the League Office.