Thank you for your interest in becoming a member of the Junior League of Charleston, Inc.
MISSION AND PURPOSE
The Junior League of Charleston, Inc., is an organization of women committed to promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women, and improving the community through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. Its purpose is exclusively educational and charitable. The Junior League of Charleston reaches out to women of all races, religions and national origin who demonstrate an interest in and commitment to voluntarism. The Junior League raises more than $100,000 annually to further this mission. The organization combines trained volunteers with the money it puts into the community for double impact. Last year, Junior League members invested more than 2,100 volunteer hours valued at $45,000.
“I HAVE TO SAY THE PROVISIONAL TIME IS SO ENJOYABLE. I REALLY HAVE GOTTEN SO MUCH OUT OF IT. THE VOLUNTEERING IS A GIFT IN ITSELF BUT MEETING SUCH COOL, DYNAMIC, FUNNY, SMART WOMEN HAS BEEN A REALLY HAPPY EXPERIENCE. EVERYONE IS EAGER TO HELP AND HAS AN EXCELLENT, POSITIVE OUTLOOK. I AM SO GLAD I DID THIS. IT HAS BEEN EMPOWERING AND HAS LED ME TO FIND MANY MORE COMMUNITY BETTERMENT OPPORTUNITIES. JOINING JUNIOR LEAGUE WAS ONE EXCELLENT DECISION.”
2013-2014 PROVISIONAL CLASS MEMBER
Provisional Member Overview
As a Provisional Member, the first year is spent immersing our newest members in the mission of the League. The Provisional Class Committee provides a 10-month experience where new members learn about the Junior League and its role in the Charleston community. It requires a commitment on the part of the Provisional to fulfill her Provisional year responsibilities, but it is also an exciting experience!
The Junior League of Charleston opens its application process in the spring of every year. The following criteria must be met in order to be considered for membership:
- The candidate must be a female of at least 21 years of age by May 31.
- The candidate must reside in the Charleston area by August.
- The candidate must possess an interest in community service, a commitment to community service, and an interest in developing her potential as a trained volunteer and leader.
Starting April 1st, interested members should complete and submit an application online and pay the non-refundable $35.00 application fee. This is due no later than July 17th. Upon completion of the application, you will then:
- Register and attend a Fact & Fee session over the summer, where a member will:
- Sign the Provisional Contract
- Pay the Provisional Course Fee
- Pay the Provisional member fee ($202) or start a payment plan
- Dates for Fact & Fee Drop-in Sessions will be announced in the spring and take place in June and July. These sessions may be in-person or virtual.
Have a question? We’re here to help! Contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (843-763-5284).
PROVISIONAL CLASS ACCEPTANCE
Upon submitting an application and application fee ($35), paying the membership fee ($202) and provisional course fee ($75), and executing the Provisional contract, all of which must be submitted to the League office no later than August 1, the prospect will be admitted to Provisional membership in the JLC effective August 1.
Once accepted into the Provisional class, members must complete various requirements over the course of the Provisional year. We may adjust these requirements over the summer and will let you know of any changes.
- Attend one of the Fact & Fee Sessions during the summer
- Attend Initial Orientation Course (IOC) in August 2020.
- Attend 4 Membership Trainings.
- Attend 6 monthly Provisional Class Meetings
- Attend 1 In-League Committee Meeting
- Participate in 4 Provisional Service Project shifts
- Participate in Provisional Class Fundraising Project
- Pay Active Membership Fee ($202) for the 2021-2022 League year by April 1, 2021.
PROVISIONAL & GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETINGS
Provisional Class meetings are typically the first Monday of the month and General Membership Meetings (GMM) usually occur the fourth Monday of the month.
If you have specific questions, please contact email@example.com!
Once again, thank you for your interest. All of us at the Junior League of Charleston are proud of our accomplishments in this community. We always need hard working volunteers to continue having the impact and success that we enjoy today!